Author Topic: UK economy  (Read 916 times)

Caesar

• Administrator
  • Admin
    • NotTheNoobs
Re: UK economy
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 11:55:53 AM »
This, and the continuing fiasco called Brexit, is hammering the UK this past few days.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/20/london-could-face-new-coronavirus-restrictions-within-days-hancock-says-13299993/

How much and how long the lock down is will affect consumer and business confidence for a long time.
Hail Caesar.
No, just a bit of rain

eddieb

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 08:10:39 AM »
The Chancellor has cancelled his Autumn budget and is focusing on finding ways to replace the furlough scheme without losing too many jobs.
There should be an announcement later today
Disclaimer. Posts are just my thoughts,  not recommendations.  Do your own due diligence before trading

BWS

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 10:49:10 AM »
A bit of good news for the High Street. Supermarket chain Morrisons have announced they are creating 1000 new jobs to handle the uptick in business created by their link up with Amazon.
For those of you unaware, since 2016 a lot of Morrison stores have collection points for local Amazon customers who cannot have deliveries to their homes.
Amazon have now expanded its relationship with Morrisons so Prime members have access to its full range on the internet giant's main website.
"I wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm probably in the top 1" - Brian Clough

Michael

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 09:31:45 AM »
Hello.
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but it could be a game changer for the construction industry and an end to the famous 'builders bum' that most of us have had the misfortune to see at one time or other
https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2020/10/06/uks-first-home-built-by-robo-bricklayer/

BWS

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 03:29:14 PM »
Hello.
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but it could be a game changer for the construction industry and an end to the famous 'builders bum' that most of us have had the misfortune to see at one time or other
https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2020/10/06/uks-first-home-built-by-robo-bricklayer/

Interesting post Michael. It seems more and more jobs are being automated, and with AI starting to appear more this is a trend that will likely increase. Good for the employers who can reduce staffing costs, but bad for the people who find the jobs redundant.
"I wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm probably in the top 1" - Brian Clough

eddieb

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 08:39:37 AM »
Unemployment figures due out tomorrow are expected to show a rise from last month, but the real impact from covid won't really start coming through until next month when we have the first set of numbers following the end of the chancellors original furlough scheme.

Namaste
Disclaimer. Posts are just my thoughts,  not recommendations.  Do your own due diligence before trading

eddieb

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »
I should also add, prime minister is expected to announce today the most severe lockdown measures in months.
North of England is expected to be hit hardest, its imperative that London is kept open regardless because of its affect on the economy as a whole

BWS

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
A report by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) says the 14%, or about 1 in 7, UK companies have little or no confidwence that they will survive the next 3 months. Even allowing for understandable degrees of pessimism in the current climate, thats a potentially huge problem ahead.
The same report also says 9% of the UK workforce was on furlough in the first 2 weeks of November.