Author Topic: Planning For The Future  (Read 71 times)

eddieb

Planning For The Future
« on: March 20, 2020, 08:08:59 AM »
Ive been trading in one form or another since the 1980's, initially just individual stocks. 
In recent years I have been buying more index tracker funds and shares in long-established,  steady companies as well as building up a decent sized personal pension and a range of Sipps & ISA's to take advantage of tax breaks.

I have just started topping up my investments in funds following the recent fall in prices.  I realise prices may well have further to fall but I am looking for growth over the next 5 to 10 years and see the current situation as an opportunity to buy at a discount compared to where price was. I don't expect to buy at the bottom, but I missed this chance in 2008/9 and am not doing it a second time.

I am also watching closely a number of individual shares. I wont be investing in these for weeks or months until I am convinced that they are back on the right tracks again.

Namaste

Disclaimer. Posts are just my thoughts,  not recommendations.  Do your own due diligence before trading

Kaitsu

Re: Planning For The Future
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 03:25:49 PM »
Ive been trading in one form or another since the 1980's, initially just individual stocks.
That's a lot of valuable trading experience, Eddieb!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 05:54:04 PM by Kaitsu »
Ships are safe in harbour - but that is not what ships are for......

eddieb

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »
I drew my charts by hand on graph paper

Me too, although not with different coloured pens. I used to read a shares magazine, pick a few shares to follow and then plot the daily price onto my graph paper.

My first foray into shares was via a government scheme that allowed you to save over a 5 year period deducted from your salary. After the 5 years you could withdraw the money (plus interest) if the shares had fallen, or buy the shares at the 5 year-old price less (i think) 15% discount. The ultimate no-brainer! The profit I made paid for me to move out of a terraced house and into a detached house.
Disclaimer. Posts are just my thoughts,  not recommendations.  Do your own due diligence before trading

eddieb

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 02:53:27 PM »
I wont be investing in these for weeks or months
So much for that statement!

I bought into 12 companies in April and another 5 today, as well as a few tracker funds. Lots of study beforehand from as many reliable sources as I can lay my hands on - one good thing about being furloughed is that I have the time to do this properly.

I plan to slow down a bit now, maybe add a small number more and/or remove some if they dont perform as I hope.

Certainly different from forex, which is what Ive concentrated on for the past 6 years

eddieb

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 06:54:33 PM »
After a flatish start for my portfolio,  have had a stonking day today thanks to ftse soaring.
Every single share up, many by double-digit percent.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:13:01 PM by eddieb »

Caesar

• Administrator
  • Admin
    • NotTheNoobs
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 08:59:37 PM »
That sounds like a great day, well done!