Re: GBPUSD
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2020, 06:39:12 PM »
Nice trading guys

Kaitsu

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »
Nice trading guys

Thanks, Caesar.  :)

But it only goes to emphasise that the real skill in trading is not where one gets in, but where one eventually decides to get out! "Too soon" is just as bad as"too late". And that really is the heart of the whole thing (at least IMHO!)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:28:53 PM by Emerson »

Kaitsu

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2020, 08:27:25 PM »
Regarding today's GBP optimism:

LONDON (Reuters) - Optimism among companies in Britain’s dominant services sector surged after Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s landslide election win last month, despite continued economic stagnation, a business survey showed on Monday.

The business expectations component of the IHS Markit/CIPS UK Services Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) hit its highest level since September 2018, while order books increased for the first time in four months.

The overall PMI in December improved to 50.0 from a preliminary reading for the month - based on responses before the election - of 49.0. It was also higher than November’s 49.3.

Still, the index has not exceeded the 50 threshold denoting growth since August - the longest run below that mark since 2009 - and survey compiler IHS Markit said its readings were consistent with no growth in the economy in the fourth quarter.

Investors are watching for early signs of the impact of Johnson’s emphatic victory over the opposition Labour Party under left-wing leader Jeremy Corbyn, and sterling - already on a rising trend on Monday - rose modestly after the PMI report.

Today’s release suggests that there could be a post-election bounce in the data over the next few months as confidence improves,” said Thomas Pugh, UK economist at consultancy Capital Economics."

Kaitsu

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2020, 08:48:03 AM »
We have finally broken up through the middle of last week's range. It took a while!

I am looking next for an extension to the top of last week's range around 1.3280. Unless, of course, we drop back through that middle range line.

Kaitsu

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2020, 10:13:58 AM »
Turned out to just be another blip on the upside, but at least a chance to close out in the green.

I don't see any rationale here so far this year for sitting with positions very long so it is very much just buying dips and grabbing pips. Otherwise one can so easily get caught chasing shadows!

eddieb

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2020, 11:32:48 AM »
I'm still in this one, albeit my SL is less than 20 pips away now so could soon be over.
If I am taken out I will still be over 50 pips up, so better than nothing.

Kaitsu

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »
This latest peak this morning creates an interesting "nose cone" on the daily chart, with now three touches on the downline.

Somehow I get a feeling that some kind of breakout to another range is brewing (but which way!) Mybias is also to the upside, but I want to see a new TA justification before re-enrtering.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:09:55 PM by Emerson »

eddieb

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2020, 12:07:46 PM »
...and stopped out for 54 pips.
I think I will watch this pair for a bit, see what happens beforeI move again

Kaitsu

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
I think I will watch this pair for a bit, see what happens beforeI move again

TBH, I have been looking around various pairs, oil and SP500, and I don't find anything right now that I feel confident about trading. So I think I am also going to take a break here and wait for something more concrete to appear on the radar. Its been too many years to now get excited about just pumping a few pips here and there, and probably giving most of it back again! :)

eddieb

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2020, 06:31:09 PM »
There’s nothing wrong with waiting, in fact I think the inability to do this is probably a huge contributory factor in many new traders blowing their accounts.

Age probably plays a part as well. I don’t know how old you are but I get the feeling that, like myself, you’re days as a teenager are well behind you 😁

Namaste

Caesar

• Administrator
  • Admin
    • NotTheNoobs
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »
Sterling has fallen below $1.30 for the first time this year as signs grow that the Bank of England could cut interest rates as soon as this month.

The pound fell 0.5 per cent to $1.2996 in morning trading today, leaving it nearly 2 per cent lower for the year already.

Over the weekend, Gertjan Vlieghe, an external monetary policy committee member, told the Financial Times he would vote for a cut in interest rates later this month if data do not show the UK economy is picking up and that he would need to see “an imminent and significant improvement” in UK data to justify waiting to vote to lower interest rates from 0.75 per cent to 0.5 per cent.

On Friday, Silvana Tenreyro, another external MPC member, told a conference she could vote for a rate cut “in the coming months” if there was no sign of a pick-up in the economy.

With major High Street retailers like John Lewis reporting that Christmas and New Year sales were lower than last year I think a cut in interest rates may well be on the cards. Certainly,  we are moving closer to a cut than at the last MPC meeting where it was rejected by a vote of 7-2.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:03:01 AM by Caesar »

Caesar

• Administrator
  • Admin
    • NotTheNoobs
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2020, 01:11:10 PM »
Bank of England decides to keep interest rates at 0.75%
GbpUsd rises on the news,  will be interesting to see if we keep the rise or if it drifts downwards later

Caesar

• Administrator
  • Admin
    • NotTheNoobs
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2020, 06:17:00 PM »
Today's Fed cut of 0.5% caused a jump in this pair, although it is turning down again.

Caesar

• Administrator
  • Admin
    • NotTheNoobs
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2020, 04:42:15 PM »
Sterlings fall continues, gbpusd under 1.18 today

Caesar

• Administrator
  • Admin
    • NotTheNoobs