Author Topic: Julia Cordova (trader) interview, Futures Radio Show  (Read 434 times)

PipMeHappy

Julia Cordova (trader) interview, Futures Radio Show
« on: October 13, 2020, 09:55:29 PM »
https://futuresradioshow.com/podcast/309/

Loved this interview because it shows how anyone
can become a profitable trader in six years if they
do what Julia Cordova did, which is to find a niche
in the market and use good risk management after
making lots of mistakes and experimenting with a
bunch of things.

Enjoy
PipMeHappy

Kim

Re: Julia Cordova (trader) interview, Futures Radio Show
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 02:45:08 PM »
Hiya Pipmehappy.
Great recording. Julia made some great comments that I had not thought much about but which sound like common sense. Like, stop copying other people and just find something that you understand and that works for you, even of it doesnt work for any body else.
She is very honest about how bad she used to be and what she still doesnt understand even now that she is successful.
My fav bit is where she says she realised that instead of trying to find a strategy that beats the system, she would try to figure out where the algorithms where likely to place trades for their advantage so she could copy that.  Really clever, out of the box thinking
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:05:44 PM by Kim »

PipMeHappy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »
Hiya Pipmehappy.
Great recording. Julia made some great comments that I had not thought much about but which sound like common sense. Like, stop copying other people and just find something that you understand and that works for you, even of it doesnt work for any body else.
She is very honest about how bad she used to be and what she still doesnt understand even now that she is successful.
My fav bit is where she says she realised that instead of trying to find a strategy that beats the system, she would try to figure out where the algorithms where likely to place trades for their advantage so she could copy that.  Really clever, out of the box thinking

@Kim  so glad you a) listened to her interview; b) liked it too; c) put in some comments about it here!

Yes, she was quite honest and had to learn the hard way (she was not mentored, in the traditional sense of someone taking her by the hand saying "This is what NOT to do"), which means there was a lot of trial and error - or mostly error at first - before she could find her channel-trading niche.

Anthony Crudele's Futures Radio Show and Aaron Fifield's Chat With Traders are two of my favourite podcasts that I have been listening to for some time: have you listened to some other of their interviews or have you listened to other podcasts that you would like to share?

Thanks
PipMeHappy

PS: Julia's YouTube channel is pretty honest too, and her tongue-in-cheek gesture of sticking a 'Not Financial Advice' sign on the wall behind her wins my vote! What strikes me is that the scammers who post sleek videos with great lighting and six-monitor computers behind them look much more 'professional' than a genuine trader like Julia who has no such sleek tricks in her videos. This just shows how one should not judge a book by its cover... how true.

Gazza

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 09:38:17 AM »
Thank you for the links pipmehappy.
I have added her youtube as a shortcut and looking forward to finding time to watch (some of her videos are a bit long for me so I might fast forward parts.)

PipMeHappy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »
@Gazza  you are welcome!

Yes, there are some genuine traders out there who are figuring out how to show some of what they do - not everyone

is great at making sleek videos with punchy jump-cuts, but at least they are reaching out.

The greatest thing you can ask someone who is making money trading is to show some of what they do; what is interesting

(as @Kim  was saying) is the way in which Julia does think about algos...

You can skin a market in so many ways, and every successful trader finds a niche that works (for a while, at least): that is

why system-hopping is not good in the long term, because there is no one way to win at this, or one perfect system...

Even well-tested systems/strategies will fail and lose you some dosh...

PipMe

Gazza

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 03:26:44 PM »
Ive been looking at a couple of Julias videos- my god, Ive never seen so much pink!! Its like Barbie threw up on her charts.

Asides from the colour, her charts look so busy, lines here, there, and everywhere. I know she seems successful but I couldnt trade like she seems to.
Im going to watch a few more of her videos to see if some of her other charts are a bit clearer, will pop back and let you know.

Ciao!

PipMeHappy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 04:44:03 PM »
Ive been looking at a couple of Julias videos- my god, Ive never seen so much pink!! Its like Barbie threw up on her charts.

Asides from the colour, her charts look so busy, lines here, there, and everywhere. I know she seems successful but I couldnt trade like she seems to.
Im going to watch a few more of her videos to see if some of her other charts are a bit clearer, will pop back and let you know.

Ciao!

I have done a lot of pink on my charts, I have to say it is a great colour for adding layers that are visible but not too heavy.
Some people prefer to delete lines etc. as soon as they are past their use; others prefer to keep them to see if previous trade
ideas are still valid or if they stacked up to nothing at all.
I prefer to get rid of lines if they make things difficult to read, like yourself, but each to their own.
Multiple lines on a mobile 'phone would make it impossible, so I suppose if you have a large desktop screen it is easier to zoom into the chart
and past the forest of lines...

Thanks for your comments!
PipMe

Kaitsu

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 05:26:03 PM »

I have to agree with you @Gazza! Of course, these charts work for her, they wouldn't be there otherwise, but for me they are a huge nightmare and drive my eyes totally nuts! It just goes to show how personal trading is and how important it is to find one's own niche and chart content - and to trust in it!

Here's one screenshot that just sends my eyes rolling in all directions:
Ships are safe in harbour - but that is not what ships are for......

PipMeHappy

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 06:12:34 PM »
@Kaitsu  I remember Michael Boutros of DailyFX having similarly busy charts
as a scalper with layered Fibonacci from multiple time frames... It was a mess, but again it worked for him...

As you say, trading is very personal...like shoes!

Kaitsu

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 06:30:17 PM »
@Kaitsu  I remember Michael Boutros of DailyFX having similarly busy charts
as a scalper with layered Fibonacci from multiple time frames... It was a mess, but again it worked for him...

As you say, trading is very personal...like shoes!
Good analogy! :D

I guess it is an important point that what we put on our charts should not only be informative but we also need to be comfortable with it - afterall, we spend a lot of time starting at them!
Ships are safe in harbour - but that is not what ships are for......