Author Topic: Working in the finance industry  (Read 135 times)

PipMeHappy

Working in the finance industry
« on: September 27, 2020, 02:46:38 PM »
Hello traders...

I am not from the finance industry in general and do not have a professional background in money management, trading, investing, analysis, that sort of thing...

But after years at 'meddling' with trading and financial analysis I have come to my eighth year this month
and decided that I should start doing some digging.

Thus far, I have:

- written to a wealth management firm in my city, asking for career advice (receiving no reply);
- written to the Institute of Trading and Portfolio Management (Anton Kreil's fund) and awaiting reply;
- started my CMT Level 1 training and doing my exam in December;
- signed up to a free Investment Banking course by WallStreetMojo;
- downloaded the CFA Foundations Programme Certificate book to study and take the exam next March.

On top of this I also applied today to several companies looking for content writing, a mixture of currencies, stocks, and financial/market analysis, some of which pay a fixed income and others a per-article fee. All companies are US based and allow remote work but still require that the applicant is eligible to work for a US-based company, thus it may be that I am unable to be employed by them.

I recently applied for a freelance trading position at T3 Capital and got an interview but then they wrote to me just before it to say that they could not go ahead as they thought I was based in the US.

One of the companies I applied to today is J.P. Morgan, as the rote would be partly home-based and also based in Glasgow, which is convenient as I live in Scotland (and a lot of jobs like this one would be in London).

All things considered, I have not made progress in any particular direction, but I am trying to push in any direction that is open to someone who is by any standard a junior in the world of finance/trading. I would be very happy to be paid for content writing (financial/market analysis), which would free up some time for my own trading and/or to get a foot in the door of trading-related positions with a company (or through networking).

That is where I am at.

In the meantime, I am very happy with my music teaching and whatever happens I can say that I have not lost out by trying to get beyond just trading and pushing for some kind of professional employment in the field - if you do not try, you do not get.

Has anyone here worked in financials (a huge field, so I leave the question quite open)?

Cheers
PipMe

Caesar

• Administrator
  • Admin
    • NotTheNoobs
Re: Working in the finance industry
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 04:15:15 PM »
In the meantime, I am very happy with my music teaching

You are a very lucky man to be doing something you love for a living.
If you were successful in getting the type of work you have been applying for, how much would that impact on your life? Would you still have time for your music and your young family? If the career didn't work out or wasn't right for you, could you pick up were you left off teaching-wise?

I'm not trying to discourage you, but working for most big companies, especially in finance, is high pressure and often long hours.
I'm  sure you've thought this through and are going in with your eyes wide open. The very best wishes to you,  I  hope you will update us on your progress.
:)
Hail Caesar.
No, just a bit of rain

PipMeHappy

Re: Working in the finance industry
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 09:00:50 PM »
Hello @Caesar thank you for your thoughtful reply!

When I became a dad I had prepared by leaving my f/t job and building up my private client pool to numbers that
would make it sustainable; by the time my daughter was born, I could pay my half of the mortgage with what I was earning.

Skip forward two years and I started wondering if I could do with working with someone else again as part of a team, so after much searching I found myself a neat p/t position, not too far away, just like I wanted it in terms of hours and fitting around our home life.

What I am looking to do now is to replicate the same experience, which is that I am being very picky and only applying for opportunities that have flexible time/workload arrangements, because I value my time too much for home, family, and music.

I will never stop being a musician, or working in the music industry, but if something else (like working in the financial industry in some form) came along that was worth my time, I would push music back a little and just make more room for another experience.

:)