Author Topic: FAANGS  (Read 490 times)

eddieb

FAANGS
« on: June 22, 2020, 02:42:32 PM »
Hi.

In the coming weeks, Congress in the USA will hear testimonies from the CEO's of Facebook, Amazon, and Alphabet. Apple have also been asked to attend but have not yet replied.

This is expected to be the biggest anti-trust investigation in 50 years and there is a lot of speculation about how far it will go - breaking up these giants being the biggest threat.

IMHO, I think ordering them to perhaps dispose of some peripheral business with promises to stay out of those sectors in future and issuing substantial fines will likely be the outcome, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Disclaimer. Posts are just my thoughts,  not recommendations.  Do your own due diligence before trading

eddieb

Re: FAANGS
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »
More bad news for Facebook as more companies pull the plug on advertising with them.

Their shares fell 8% on Friday alone, and with names like Coca-Cola and Unilever joining  the 90 plus other companies, this will make a huge hole in Facebook accounts.

Added competition from other social media offerings like Parler will also affect future prospects
Disclaimer. Posts are just my thoughts,  not recommendations.  Do your own due diligence before trading

eddieb

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 02:19:12 PM »
The Bank Of America (BoA) fund managers survey have voted, with a score of 74%, that the US tech stocks constitute 'the longest 'long' of all time'. In fairness, the survey has only been going since 2013, but its still a decent run.

However, this run has made the FAANGS so big that they are close to having monopolistic power, something that Pres Trump has already threatened to take action on and which the Democrats, should they win the election, would almost certainly do.

BWS

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 09:21:16 AM »
Reuters report that France wants the EU to push on with plans for a Digital Tax in early 2021 if no international agreement is reached.
They accuse the USA of undermining global efforts since it is the big US tech companies who are most likely to suffer, but as they also appear to have gained most from Covid-19, France is not too sympathetic.
I think we can expect some sabre-rattling from the US over this one.
"I wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm probably in the top 1" - Brian Clough

Magyar

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »
Hello.
This isnt what I usually look at but I found it and thought it might be worth posting.(The bit I noticed was its revenue was more than Hungary in 2019)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department and 11 states filed an antitrust lawsuit against Alphabet Inc's (O:GOOGL) Google on Tuesday for allegedly breaking the law in using its market power to fend off rivals.
Google, whose search engine is so ubiquitous that its name has become a verb, had revenue of $162 billion in 2019, more than the nation of Hungary.
Coming just days before the U.S. presidential election, the filing's timing could be seen as a political gesture since it fulfills a promise made by President Donald Trump to his supporters to hold certain companies to account for allegedly stifling conservative voices.
More lawsuits could be in the offing since probes by state attorneys general into Google's broader businesses are under way, as well as an investigation of its broader digital advertising businesses. A group of attorneys general led by Texas is expected to file a separate lawsuit focused on digital advertising as soon as November, while a group led by Colorado is contemplating a more expansive lawsuit against Google.

eddieb

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 03:03:09 PM »
There has been much speculation recently about whether Trump or Biden would be best for the tech companies, certainly Silicon Valley seems to have sided with Biden. Some of the speculation has been about whether the new President would restrict or even break up any of these, with anticompetitive behaviour given as the most likely reason, and indeed the US Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit on this basis against Alphabet (Google). This comes just over a year after an enquiry by the US House of Representatives concluded that the Big Tech companies should be broken up for this same reason.

I dont think shareholders need get overly concerned, an antitrust case brought against Microsoft nearly 3 decades ago took 10 years to resolve and if a similar timeframe was taken, and Im sure lawyers would spin this out forever if they could, then it is very likely that Google will be a very different company then than they are now, so the matters raised by the anticompetitive lawsuit would be null and void.

The anticompetitive lawsuit is based on Googles behaviour in regards to its search and search advertising, with regulators claiming Google smother competition. Google could argue that its search is a free service and, although in 2019 it earned 80% of its revenue from search advertising, this is changing with some 70 Google subsidiaries based in new, young, and rapidly growing businesses such as DeepMind, its AI arm, Waymo self-driving cars, and Verily life sciences.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:09:08 PM by eddieb »

eddieb

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »
Twitter fell almost 20% from $52 to $42 after adding fewer users than expected and forecasting a rise in costs.

The number of monetizable daily active users, grew 1% to 187 million, below the consensus of 195 million, according to StreetInsider. The company also said it expects costs and expenses to increase about 20% year-over-year in the current quarter. 

Still, the company beat estimates, with earnings per share of 19 cents compared to the estimated 6 cents, on sales of $936 million, higher than the expected $769 million.

Caesar

• Administrator
  • Admin
    • NotTheNoobs
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 12:40:59 PM »
Hail Caesar.
No, just a bit of rain

Pipstar

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 11:21:35 AM »
I have just found this on an investments site about problems with the EU for Google

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A group of 165 companies and industry bodies have called on EU antitrust enforcers to take a tougher line against Google, saying the U.S. tech giant unfairly favours its own services on its web searches.
The group includes U.S. and UK companies as well as peers in 21 EU countries. It sent a joint letter to EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager on Thursday, saying Google was giving its own services, such as those for accommodation, travel and jobs, preferential placement in its search results and urging swift action to stop the practice.

eddieb

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 09:07:09 PM »

eddieb

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 11:41:21 AM »
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A video call between the European Union's digital chief and Alphabet (NASDAQ:GOOGL), Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) and Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) to discuss draft rules to curb their powers has been postponed until Dec. 2, an EU official said on Friday.

Internal Market Commissioner Thierry Breton, responsible for digital regulation, rescheduled the call from Nov. 24 because of an institutional engagement, the official said.

The call is to discuss proposed rules known as the Digital Services Act (DSA) and Digital Markets Act (DMA) which Breton is scheduled to present on Dec. 9 together with European Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager.

About 20 companies, which include Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), Booking (NASDAQ:BKNG).com, Expedia, Trivago and DuckDuckGo have been invited on to the call.

The draft rules have been the subject of intense lobbying by tech companies and online platforms who argue regulators should use existing rules before coming up with new ones and that the tough regulatory approach may hurt innovation.

eddieb

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »
Will the future of trading be with Amazon Cloud?

LONDON (Reuters) - A pilot by online giant Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) and two stock exchanges showed how moving share trading from costly physical servers to cloud computing could save money and reduce the potential for outages, the companies said on Friday.

The Singapore Exchange SGX, London-based Aquis Exchange and Amazon Web Services said they undertook a proof of concept to show that trading shares in the cloud can be sufficiently fast and reliable.

"It's proven to be technically capable," said Adrian Ip, a director at Aquis Exchange's technology arm.

Exchanges using the cloud to date for trading are limited in size or niche, such as dealing in crypto assets, Ip said.

Amazon's move into "multicast" or an ability to send data to many parties at the same time in the cloud, a key requirement for any exchange of size, was a breakthrough, Ip said.

Despite exchanges spending millions of dollars on physical back-up servers, there have been outages this year in Japan, Australia, and at Euronext in Europe, drawing close scrutiny from regulators.

A cloud-based exchange could be more resilient than relying on physical infrastructure dotted across regions, Ip said.

Mayumi Hiramatsu, Vice President at Amazon Web Services, said the pilot showed a path to free up customers from maintaining legacy on-premises infrastructure.

Aquis and SGX are looking at how to take forward findings from their pilot with Amazon, which they say could bring savings of up to 90%.

"We will be looking at how this can be scaled globally. We will take a considered and measured approach and discuss with regulators and members," Ip said.

It comes at a time when regulators globally are also taking a harder look at how financial firms are increasingly relying on third party cloud providers like Amazon, Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL) and Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) for critical services.

The European Union aims to be the first to introduce new laws to regulate such use of the cloud.